Friday 24 April 2009

little bits of green and yellow...

Little bits of green and yellow have been catching my eye today. Firstly the lilies that came with these flowers finally opened today. A little shock of yellow and a hint of greenyness.
stamen

Then when out dog walking, I spotted that the flowers on the broom had opened their little petals to reveal this lovely swirl. Everything is really starting to grow, which is so lovely.
swirl2

I've been meaning to make the recipe for Vanilla-coated pumpkin seeds from this cookbook which I got from the library, mainly because a.) it looked super easy and b.) pumpkin seeds have got to be healthy right?

All you need is:
1 egg white
15g (half an oz) of golden syrup
1 tsp of vanilla essence
400g (14 oz) pumpkin seeds (pepitas)

Preheat oven to 100 C (225 F/Gas 1/2)
Mix egg white with syrup and vanilla essence in a large bowl.
Add pumpkin seeds and mix well so all coated.
Spread over a baking tray lined with parchment.

Put in oven for about an hour, give them a shuffle every now and then so the seeds get a chance to dry. If they stick together this is fine, in fact a bonus!
Remove from oven when most seem dry. Let them cool as they're easier to move. Store in an airtight tin if you think you will resist the urge to gobble them all up before they get a chance to get stale! They're not as sweet as I expected but very moreish. Hence you may not need that airtight tin!

I didn't bother with baking parchment mainly because the piece I had left wasn't big enough to cover the tray, (note to self to buy more...) and they turned out fine.

yum

Then to finish off my yellow and greeny day I was out this evening, just when the sun shines that lovely golden light and spotted these greeny leaves just glowing in the sunlight...just perfect! I'm now looking forward to the rest of the weekend...I hope you all have a good one!

068

No comments: