Remember how I said I had made spicy parsnip soup yesterday? Well a delicious portion, made a warming lunch today to chase away the dreary weather.
Warming Spicy Parsnip Soup (to chase all dreariness away!)
5 medium sized parsnips
1 large onion
2 and a half pints of good vegetable stock
teeny pinch of chilli flakes
Garam Masala to taste ( i think I used about 4 teaspoons ish)
Salt and pepper to season
Double cream if feeling decadent!
* heat a glug of olive oil
* add onions and let sweat in the oil but don't brown
* chop parsnip and carrot into chunks
* once onion is soft add the parsnip and carrot to the pan
* let vegetables get to know each other for about 5 minutes with the lid on
* add good quality vegetable stock
* add a teeny pinch of chilli flakes - just to add a little something, not to overpower
* after about ten minutes add the garam masala - it's best to do this towards the end of cooking
* wait for the vegetables to soften
* when vegetables are cooked enough, buzz in a processor to make a silky consistency
* add more stock if you want a thinner consistency
* add seasoning and cream if you dare!
Soup making is so easy, cheap and satifying, especially in this cold damp weather. Feel free to tweak the recipe as the inpiration strikes you. Yum!